Friday, November 25, 2005

Speed Demon

I would very much like to think I am one!
The Traffic Police Department of Mississippi however tends to disagree.

Yesterday morning I drove to Memphis (in a friend’s car) to attend a Thanksgiving dinner. I have been driving for a while but this was the first time I was going onto a highway and hence was just a little bit apprehensive. I completed the 80miles journey without any event and was quite pleased with myself for handling it so well.
Today morning was the drive back to Oxford and having pulled off yesterday quite fabulously I was sure nothing would happen. The journey was almost coming to an end and after taking the exit from the highway towards Oxford I mentally gave myself a pat on the back assuming that nothing could go possibly go wrong now.

I was so wrong.

Now the streets of Oxford were quite deserted what with it being the day after thanksgiving and I was cruising along when I saw a speed limit signboard that said 30mph. I immediately looked at my speedometer and realized I was doing 55mph! For those who are unaware, if the speed limit at any street is X mph then as long as it doesn’t say “strictly enforced” you can go at X+10 mph. So here I was going at 15mph over the limit. I immediately slowed down but it was too late. I heard the cop’s siren and noticed his car right behind me in the rearview and I pulled over. Now the law here requires people to stay put in the vehicle when you are pulled over. But somehow I decided that it was worth a try to get out and convince him that I didn’t really mean to speed. I don’t know what my body language suggested but he concluded that I was not going to be co-operative. He called out to me asking me to go back into the car. Unfortunately, I couldn’t understand him clearly cuz he was speaking with a very thick southern accent. I took a step towards him to hear him better and that’s when he took out his tranquilizer gun and shot me in the thigh. I recovered around 2 hrs later to find myself in a hospital room and I cursed myself as to why I had to get myself into this shit in the first place!


:D Ok...All that really didn’t happen!
I pulled over and the cop came up to me, spoke to me very politely and gave me my speeding ticket (my first one...:)...not that I want more...I’m just kicked about this) and went away. There wasn’t any of the drama as above but I found out I might end up paying anywhere between 100 to 150 dollars as the fine...which of course isn’t a very nice thing!

First time that Ive broken the law and have been caught!
Will try and avoid it in the future! ;)

DRIVE SAFE EVERYONE!

6 comments:

Golu said...

if u dont know the meaning of 'gudda lo balupu', tomorrow morning please do use a mirror

tav said...

ayee saala..main toh dar gaya tha ki he really shot u..

Roman said...

(now that there are enuff comments to start replying to them...:P)

Golu...what 'gudda lo balupu'? Im a guy who lives life on the edge and loves it! :P

Zubin...:) I would have loved to see the look on ur face...still thanx for the concern

Kn...yeah I agree...the thought is hilarious :)...but the thought of paying the fine has finally sunk(en?) in and Im feeling a lil bad now!! :(

Karthik said...

Damn he should have shot you. :D

Would have made a nice Fresh of the Boat story :D

K
P.S: BTW, do you have any insurance? How come you are happily driving around the place.

Roman said...

:D Bluddy duh!
Yeah the insurance thing was something that worried me...before taking the car I made my friend show me the insurance and registration papers. I was not sure if having the car is enuff and once that is done anyone with a valid license can drive it...turns out it is true.
The cop looked at my license which obly had my name and also the insurance papers, which obly had my friends name...and didnt say anything. So I guess you can drive any car as long as it is insured on someones name. I could be wrong!
If anyone knows better plz let me know for my own good!

Ren said...

I once was going 110 mph on the freeway to Texas. I even have the picture of my dashboard somewhere. At any rate, I slowed back down to 80 after I took the picture. Just then... Yes... Sirens.

The state trooper was a tall, wide, black man. He stepped off the cruiser, put on his trooper-type hat, slid in the baton into his belt, put on his dark glasses, took out his notepad... About half an hour later, he was by my Jeep's door. "Evening... Do you think if we put wings on this here Jeep, it'll fly, son?"
I smiled, but didn't laugh. Then I apologized. "I clocked you going 80 on this 65, son. What's the hurry?" I considered myself lucky he didn't catch me at 110. That would have been the end of my trip home for Summer.