Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The one that got away!

Sometime in mid October 2005

It was just another day in my life...nothing extraordinary had happened till then and I certainly did not expect that to change. After spending a good 6 hrs of the day trying to get some research done I decided to give my poor brain a break and work out my body instead. So off I went to the swimming pool to do my usual laps (After great thought I decided to refrain from mentioning the usual number of laps that I swim cuz I am not sure whether the said number would be impressive or insulting!) So there I was in the pool ‘doing my thing’ when I notice this chic 2 lanes away. Now it’s quite normal for me to check out all the chics at the pool...but I was checking this girl out also because
A) She was a kick-ass swimmer...you could look at her swimming and say stuff like “Is that a shark? Is that a speedboat? NO! Its super-swimmer-chic” or something like that...AND
B) She seemed to be checking me out!
Now before I proceed any further I want all of you out there who are smirking to wipe the stupid expression off your face. Yeah...some girls find me hot...or not (as you shall find out)! But at that point I was convinced she was checking me out. Every time she was doing the fro part of a to-and-fro lap using a float-board, I could see her looking at me. And this happened quite a lot. Why was this girl checking me out so much…the question plagued me for a full 1 minute and then I remembered something!

Now take a break from this story and imagine that you and I are in a room standing around a circular table with a large circular bowl filled with a clear silvery liquid. I am holding a wand and I touch my head with it. Out from my head clinging to the tip of the wand come out silvery threads of thoughts which I empty out into the bowl. Yes...you are right...we are looking at a 'pensieve' and I want you to bury your face into this bowl with me so that you can relive the flashback I had during that time at the pool. (In case you are not a Harry Potter fan, then all you need to know is that I remembered something else looking that girl at the pool and I am jumping into it right now)

Sometime in mid February 2005

I had just finished 'doing my thing' and was walking out of the recreation center when this random girl I don’t recognize walks right in front of me and says

Random Girl: Oh...you are done?
Me: Excuse me?
RG: You done swimming for the day?
Puzzled Me: Uhhh...yeah...just finished...Uhh...you going now?
RG: Yeah...I see you swimming all the time.
Still Puzzled Me Oh! (smiles stupidly not knowing what else to do)
RG: Alright...Ill cya arnd.
Now thinking ‘WTF’ Me: Yeah...cya!

And then she was gone. Now all this happened in a matter of a few seconds and since things like this don’t happen on a day to day basis I was quite unprepared. The worst part is that I don’t remember her face. Even now I don’t even have the slightest clue as to how she looks. We probably must have crossed paths numerous times later but never once did I manage to recognize her...MAAAYBE UNTIL NOW!

As I say this you see silvery threads circling all around your face and with a bright cool flash you are out of the 'pensieve' and back to the present situation poolside


The same sometime in mid October 2005

So here I was, thinking that maybe it’s the same girl and that’s the reason she seemed so interested in me. Although I had set out to rest my brain it refused to do so and did some logical analysis for me...
->Probability of cute chic checking you out with so much interest: 1%
->Probability that she is a possessive stalker: 50%
->Probability that this stops you in anyway whatsoever: 0.001%
->Logical conclusion: Go talk to her!

Whom am I to say no to my brain. So I waited for her to finish swimming. She got out of the pool and made way to her towel. I got out and followed her to pick up my towel (Im no pervert! Everyone keeps their towels in the same place here). As she was rinsing herself I approached her and said Hi.

And I smiled...
a not very confident “Hey...how have you been...its been a while” smile
but a subtle “Do I know you? If so smile back and start talking else take it as a polite southern hospitality thingie and continue rinsing”.

And she smiled back...
a not very open “Oh my gaawd...its you...the hot guy Ive been waiting forever to talk to but after that disastrous first meeting I was scared of being thought as a freak but now that you have said hi Im going to take you back to my place and make you do things to me that would condemn us both from heaven forever”
But a very subtle “Huh...why is this freak saying hi to me while I’m rinsing myself!Im sure he is an engineering graduate student...they often tend to be so desperate and socially stunted. I better smile back politely and get the hell out of here before he tries to hit on me”

And then she left!

And I still don’t know if this was the same girl from before!

Cruel world: 1
Ro: 0

18 comments:

Golu said...

ok i totally loved ur post...but see ro as i have always told u...(well this coming from me is wrong i know :D) but u have always chosen the wrong time to 'make the move'. Now im sure there will be some posts saying oh no ro...u were correct and blah blah. NOOOOOOOOOOO

but amazing post man :D keep up the good work..on the blog and in the pool :D

FINALLY :@@@@@@ ur ending is cogged from my funda...and atleast u r still 1-0...i am 3-0

I suggest from tomorrow u go around asking every girl at the pool and probability wise u R going to have luck some day. Also im surprised u don't remember her face...given the memory of faces who remember ur names and shout them out :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Golu said...

ro seriously awesome post man :DDD read it again and again :)) chalo so atleast i know it isnt me being fat that is not helping me score (HEY NOT SCORE as in get laid...i mean score against the 'cruel world')

Roman said...

Golu1...Thank you golu...we shall remain the members of the strongest MAC ever (thats Mutual Admiration Club)
And yeah...Im sorry I cogged the ending from our conversation...it belongs to you but I thought it fit in nicely with the post! well...thanx for letting me use it :P
And scope ki I am only 1-0...without even couting this...I would consider myself 3-2 ;)
Im not going to do that!

Golu2...thanx once again :)
And scope re...being fat and all dont matter! as someone once wisely said...u can get anything u want as long as ur expectations are low enough!
I think that someone was renta!

Golu said...

ok now im puzzled...do mesg/mail me as to HTF it is 3-2 :D

Anonymous said...

Ahh Ro gets back to his blogging best!! I strongly recommend saying hi to her the next time you see her (a more appropriate time than when she is rinsing herself might be a good idea). I've known relationships which had wierder beginnings so you never know :)

Anonymous said...

The previous post was mine... deja vu of valfi invitations :))

Roman said...

golu...ok...I will!

subbu...lol...u didnt have to say that! I was just paining you! :) Hmm...see u dont understand...I dont remember the face of either girls...or one girl...I guess Im really bad with faces!

Anonymous said...

Most amused at my own remark :) -Renta

Anonymous said...

yes re renta...I remember u told me this once...:)
And i remember being totally in awe :D

duhcreaturewithdrumsticks said...

:D:D
tooo much post rey ro!
but sheeesh :DD ... all your life you've been knocking on doors and runnin away - finally someone rang your bell and you don't open it!
anyhow - nice escapades these!

Golu said...

lol really liked the knocking on doors funda :DDDDDDDDDDDD

Roman said...

Viral give up! :D
If someone rings my doorbell they shud atleast wait untill I open it...and it wasnt like I was going to take forever to do that!

Karthik said...

Subbu,

When I read your anonymous comment i was sure it was a female :D

K

Anonymous said...

:D
Why duh?

Anonymous said...

sach main awesome post...:).. going back to Subbu's comment, I think I agree with Duh! Waise Subbu, start blogging so that we get stories from the west coast...

-zubin

Anonymous said...

Thanx Zubin :)
Yeah...and subbu shud also call his blog "Stories from the west coast"
And zubin saale...i think u shud start a blog called "music in princeton: how a poor grad stands on the doorsteps and sees good music" :P and put in all ur reviews...think abt it cuz i think its a damn good idea!

kray said...

:D:D godmax post ro!! bin away for a while, n seems like i have a bit of catching up to do :P

Anonymous said...

Kray...thank you...now ketchup!
:P