Monday, November 28, 2005

I wonder...

I recently read about the murder of Manjunathan here
In brief, Manjunathan was an IIM-L graduate who worked for Indian Oil Corporation and was murdered on Nov20th in Uttar Pradesh when he refused to play mute spectator to the illegal adulteration of petrol.
Things like these (remember the murder of Satyendra Dubey) always make me question my largely hedonistic point of view in life. These are people who go against the system and stick to their beliefs and are killed for it.

I wondered if I would have the courage to give up a definite lucrative job in a probable MNC that comes after an IIM degree and instead work for a government organization like the IOC.
I wondered if I would just accept the corruption of the system as a byproduct of the society I live in and get on with my life.
I wondered if at some point of time my conscience would stab me into doing something but the fear of the pain that I would put my family through if something would happen to me would prevent me from doing anything drastic.

At this point of time I don’t know at all.
I am not making any claims right now.
All I can do is pray that I can give back something to my country…somehow!
And that at least some amount of good comes out of this so that this man’s death doesn’t go in vain.

But then...what about all those who probably were killed for being honest but don’t have an IIM or an IIT degree. The news of their deaths doesn’t even reach us! Who prays for them?

No comments: