Monday, November 21, 2005

Drink in from the Goblet!

Let me say what I should probably be saying at the end of this post. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is an excellent movie and I would highly recommend it for both fans of the series and those who haven’t seen or read any of the movies/books.

Now lets get into my artsy-fartsy review of this movie :)
Warning: Might or might not contain spoilers. Mostly...might not!

The most striking thing about this movie is the fact that despite the omission of a zillion things from the book the essentials have been faithfully stuck to and the result is an enjoyable movie that is appealing to everyone.
The movie begins with the Quidditch World Cup and the special effects are a treat to the eye and made me realize how poorly I had imagined the whole thing when I was reading the book. Unfortunately, the world cup isn’t a pivotal part of the story and even before you finish explaining what is going on to the chic next to you (who doesn’t care much abt Harry and his friends) the wonderful imagery ends. Things unravel at a very good pace and the bulk of the story revolves around the ‘tri-wizard tournament’, a competition amongst three wizarding schools (I couldn’t help notice that Hogwarts was the only co-ed one...the other two happen to be a complete girls and a complete boys schools) in which four competitors (two from Hogwarts and one from the each of the other two) compete for the much coveted tri-wizard cup. The many subplots in the book have been omitted and during the course of the tournament events unfold culminating at the end with the return of Voldemort and another not-seen-before-in-the-previous-movies shocker which will surprise you only if you are someone who follows the series through the movies alone.

Someone worth mentioning is the very pretty Emma Watson (who plays Hermione Granger). I feel there is a little bit of a mismatch between the books and the movies that concerns her. The books have always described her as a plain-Jane who isn’t exactly known for her killer looks. In this story there is a part where she gets a complete makeover for a dance (the Yule Ball) and everyone is just floored by her new look. However when you see this particular scene you don’t really get the same feeling. She looks just as pretty as before. Instead of going from plain-jane to stunning-beauty she turns from pretty-girl to pretty-girl-in-a-nice-dress. Not that I’m complaining :)...its something that occurred to me.

The movie does have its little negatives here and there. Somehow I felt the goofy-humour content is shown a little more than necessary, to the extent that it takes away a little bit of the seriousness. Dumbledore and the others act goofier than before doing silly things and it kind of bugged me a little. But then again I guess I’m just being a purist!

And finally...Ralph Fiennes is GOD!
I was thrilled when I heard that he was playing Voldemort and my expectations of him as being a chilling, cold, evil overlord were fantastically met! The guy is awesome when it comes to these evil roles. He was excellent in the red dragon (as the ‘tooth fairy’) and of course the nazi officer in Schindlers list. Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort is one of the many things to look forward to in the rest of the movies!

Like I said at the beginning...its worth your time and money! So watch it!
Tata

23 comments:

Golu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Golu said...

wud i be branded as a paedo if i said she is hot???? If i am then so be it...But she is going to be one hot female when she 'grows up'

Karthik said...

Golu,

Please delete your first comment. That is just sick and insensitive.

Seriously!!

And also Hermione was born in 1990. Does that make you feel old :D

K

Roman said...

Baap re...duh gets all senti :D
In fact golu had asked me if he shud delete the first comment and I asked him not to saying that I didnt care. Anyway...now people who read this are going to wonder just what the heck was said in the first comment that prompted this :D
Not going to tell them, we are!
And yeah...I really feel old now!
Damn it!

Golu said...

actually i think duh is more senti than Ro...esp on stuff like this. If people dont know who dies at the end of the 6th book or for that matter even in the 5th book by NOW, then they are not going to find out in the near future also.

I am sure Duh is the kind who will get angry if u laugh at someone who is watching 'Titanic' seriously and wondering if the boat will actually sink.

Golu said...

*ship*

Anonymous said...

hahaha...
I cant believe u said boat and I read it and didnt think it was out-of-place or anything like that :D

Ren said...

Cold, ruthless, and evil? I would have casted Kevin Spacey. He's very scary as an evil person. But I guess he's involved in Superman Returns (a.k.a. the story of my life) as Lex Luthor.
Then again, what do I know?

kray said...

Re: Kram: dammit, I feel old :(
I HATED dumbledoor!! But movie's cool. Hall half-full of Norwegians trying to keep up with subtitles and giving u nasty looks when u laugh at something they dont get: not so cool.

Golu said...

actually kray, i think it was U getting the nasty looks for being urself and not for laughing :P

kray said...

haha funny :|

Roman said...

Labbie...welcome :)
And yeah...Kevin Spacey is good as a cold evil ruthless guy...seven,usual suspects (sortoff)...what else? I just checked out a drawing of Lex Luther and I think Spacey will fit the bill perfectly!

Kray...U hate Dumbledore...hmmm, if only the 1st comment was still arnd :P

Golu...making jokes at Kray, not cool man!

Kray...were you being sarcy?

kray said...

what WAS the 1st post? now i'm really curious /:)

Golu said...

it basically had to do with the elimination of ur hatred in the 6th book :P

cmon duh if ppl are going to take the pain and go back to read what kray hates...then they deserve to find out

Anonymous said...

ROTFL...:)
somebody gonna getta hurt!

kray said...

:) abbey golu u let out plot of hbp kya?!! waise lemme rephrase: i hate the guy who played dumbledore in this movie..

Anonymous said...

Good detective work kray! :D
Also...D-dore was played by two guys over the 4 movies...whom do u hate?

kray said...

I thot I mentioned that pretty clearly. The one who played D-dore in THIS one, i.e. in GoF, the one with the rather sparse and weird looking beard. I quite liked the chap who acted in the last 3 movies. too bad he died... a lil too early...

Anshumani said...

Hey dude one question ... in the US did they actually show the quidditch world cup match ... in India Victor Krum's introduction is shown and the scene shifts to the tents where everyone is celebrating post-match ... the movie was too heavily edited I thought ... I just raped the movie in a review ... it wasn't all that bad .. could have been better though ... Emma Watson (Harmoine) is hot ... total BHMB

Anshumani said...

*Hermione

Roman said...

kray... mea culpa :D
But guess what...I just checked up on imdb and this same guy played d-dore in azkaban also...richard harris was d-dore only in the 1st two...somehow this d-dore wasnt as silly in azkaban!

Anshumani...same here...no match...just the intro of krum and then the post match celebrations.
yeah...watson is out and out BHMB :)

kray said...

haan kya!!! that's a surprise!! (d'dore thing)

Karthik said...

Give up ppl :)

OK I am senti :) Still, don't think you should give out endings of books/movies so sue me.

K