Friday, March 25, 2005

RHCB...

...No this is not a typo...RHCB stands for 'Red Hot Chili Bastards'!!!!!
This is an European band (not sure where they are exactly from...I think Germany) and they claim to be the biggest RHCP tribute band...so much that they have a photograph imitating the RHCP album cover of "The Abbey Road EP" . I stumbled upon their link http://www.redhotchilibastards.com/index.html on RHCP's website.
These guys have a few cover versions of RHCP songs (like Under the bridge, If you have to ask...etc) which you can find in the music section of their homepage. I feel from a musical point of view they have done a good job in their covers, capturing the funkiness of the songs. The instruments are reasonably good and if you are willing to allow a margin of error in replicating the exact notes you might like their sound. The vocals however are slightly sad...you get the feeling that the vocalist suffers from constipation! I have no idea how they managed it but somehow the overall sound comes out to be quite decent.
BIG RHCP FAN? You have no reason not to check out this!

And while we are on the topic of chili peppers...this was something that occured to me a few days back. I have come to the conclusion that if I had to chose a song which I would rate 10/10 it has to be "Under the Bridge"!
If you think about the ingredients of the song...everything has been done to perfection.
The lyrics are gaawd (written as a tribute to Hillel Slovak...former guitarist who died due to drug overdose), sung to perfection by Anthony Keidis, the drumming is amazing and the intro by Frusciante is one of the most beautiful musical pieces created. And of course theres nothing much to say about the 2 things that are PERRRFECT in every RHCP song....Fleas bass and Frusciantes backing vocals. Everything fits in beautifully making "Under the Bridge" the best song I have ever heard. :)
And heres something funny: The first time I was exposed to this song was when I saw the video of a cover of 'Under the Bridge' by ALL SAINTS in my 9th! :D :D ...In case you dont know/remember All Saints was (I doubt they are still arnd) this all girl band of 4 chics...undoubtedly with corporate origins and one of the chics was very very cute. (I think her name was some Appleton :) I remember liking this song (and the video) a lot and of course in my childhood ignorance I didnt even know it was a cover! Once I got to listen to listen to the original I got hold of All Saints version and refreshed my memory and compared! All Saints had literally ruined the entire song by adding crappy techno beats and shadiest of shady vocals. Its sad that people think infusing techno into a song will make it better! Never worked as far as I know!

PS: RHCP Trivia--> Did you know that John Frusciante was pronounced dead 11 times before he decided he was ruining his life with drugs??
It took 11 times for him to learn his lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Golu said...

is the guitaring by john or was it by navarro?????

Roman said...

I thought it was by Navarro too for a long time...but did thoda research on the net and also it looks like Frusciante in the video also. So concluded that it is him! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi !
Can u guys check out site of my band , Ljute papprichice - the rhcp tribute band..We are from Serbia(ex Yugoslavia)...There are many songs in download section , and there is also the forum...We have been playing the rhcp for 7 months and we are getting into the style...A would realy appreciate your oppionion..And also if you would like to post it on a bands forum that would be great...
So url is : http://pappricice.massive-network.com/EN/index.php

thanks people !
RHCP ruls !