Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Infinite Sadness

Slouching in my chair I looked around a little bored in the darkened room. The light reflecting off the projector wall illuminated the faces of my advisor, my department chair and 6 others who were sitting and listening intently. Stifling a yawn that was forcing its way out, thanks to only 2 hours of sleep the previous night I tried hard to concentrate on what the guy standing next to the screen and pointing at it was trying to say. Weekly research meetings and I have a love-hate relationship. This week was filled with hate. I was going to present my work (90% of which was done only the previous night) after everyone else. That normally meant a waiting time of about 21/2 to 3 hours. I looked at my watch...3:45pm. Damn! I still had a couple of hours to kill. I tried to put the numbers and the yawns behind me and listen to what this guy had to say. I tried to judge how much work he had actually done that week and how hard was he trying to show it off as a week’s worth! The things I do to keep myself amused!

Like every other week I sat facing the door to this big room. Bless this strategic positioning; I could see her walk by. She is a beautiful girl. She works in the same building and is a friend of mine. She drops by my workstation once or twice a week for a quick chat. She has a beautiful smile. But today she seemed sad. In the couple of seconds that I noticed her walk by that room I could see she was in deep contemplation. There were definite traces of sadness in her eyes. And yet she seemed more beautiful than ever. Her drooping eyes with those large lashes, the hair tucked behind her ears and her gaze on the floor as she went past me painted the picture of the most gorgeous thing that Ive laid my eyes upon. I’ve often heard about there being a certain beauty in melancholy. Today I have seen it myself. The irony of those two simple seconds isn’t lost on me. Just a glimpse of her sadness has filled me with bliss for a much longer time.


I wish I was better with my words so that the world can better understand what I felt.
I wish I was a painter so as to at least make an attempt at capturing this on sketch.
I wish I was a songwriter so that I could maybe write a song about this.
I wish that someday I could tell her how captivating she looked to me for just those 2 seconds.

But mostly......I wish I could see that sad yet divine face of hers once again.

33 comments:

Karthik said...

How can anyone be such a senti pakoda :)

You can delete this comment if this glimpse is very near and dear to your heart and you don't want any1 making fun of it :)

K

Anonymous said...

Boshturrrrrrrrrd! :)
This was senti...I accept. But still! Stop saying senti senti all the time bitch!
Arey no near and dear funda...I remembered a peom by William Wordsworth "Solitary Reaper" I think...that was inspiration for this post!

Golu said...

sigh! i really really liked the ending. On a given day ro these words might have made me feel her sadness and cry out (ok NO i am not gay)...

BUT i have few things to say
1) listen to all these lectures
2) dont do work last minute
3) dont be so senti :P

Anonymous said...

this post sounds like a gulti song translated into english. :p

Anonymous said...

sashi..........ROTFL!
That was the best insult motherfucker that I cant help but admire!

Golu said...

sashi rocks :D

Anonymous said...

abey ro i guess we have called u senti so many times that it has affected u psychologically and u have started acting as one real senti guy..

Anonymous said...

Blogging Katrina: Unique & Direct Coverage
The NBC affiliate took a similar approach, posting blog accounts from its staff along side news and photos from the Associated Press.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a home business opportunity site. It pretty much covers home business opportunity related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Loved your thought.

DhiRAj SinGh said...

Stop being a two-second poet, bro. Grow up and ask her to read your blog unless of corz she lives only in ur imagination.

Anonymous said...

Making tennis interesting
With the US Open underway on USA and CBS, John McEnroe says tennis needs better public relations.
Hi, I was just blog surfing and I saw your blog. Read a couple of your posts. Looking good! I would love to let you know that I have a new website that intends to help people. If you are interested, go see my website onMesothelioma. It's about Mesothelioma. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

Anonymous said...

Panda: U know what...I think u r right and this scares me!

Maha: I would but if only life was that simple!

Anonymous no.2: Are you for real or just like ur friends anon 1 and 3!

Anonymous said...

I think people are being too harsh on RO here... I have never read anything so heart-wrenchingly beautiful in my life. Infact I am welling up right now. Excuse me while I go blow my nose on the fluffy pink heart shaped hankies made by RO

Anonymous said...

Et tu Shrini!

Golu said...

for all of you who have watched 'the 40 year old virgin'...Sro do u know how I know that u are gay ?? :))))))))))))))))

duhcreaturewithdrumsticks said...

abey good blog ro or was it blogs.
i can best imagine you putting senti the way you did on the rockumentary!:P
some important questions :
what happened to that guy in the projector light?
who are these bloody anon people - are they from some silly ad firm??

Karthik said...

Err Ro. You just got hit by the Sploggers. They are spam blog commenters. Bluddy fucking pains they are. Read more about them at Youth Curry - the JAM editor's blog, which btw is an awesome blog.

According to her, only retards would fall for these things, so either she is wrong or...

K

Karthik said...

Oh yeah what was the rockumentary thing.

Every time, every fucking (with a constipated look on face) time I see you guys, I wish, I wish I could be a part of you.

Sorry Ro, but tripping on u is just so easy :)

K

Karthik said...

OK, the post is really well written and all. But I still don't get it. really :P

So there's this depressed chick. How does that make her more beautiful. Cos she might be sad and hence she might drift into your league. :-/

I just don't get it. Why would sadness make some1 more beautiful?

K

Golu said...

duh for a change I shall take ro's side. Sometimes the sadness can really make someone beautiful. I dont know how ?? Im the crudest chap alive so dont even point a finger at me for me trying to act poetic like ro or maaroing senti. Sadness can bring abt beauty... period!!

Anonymous said...

Duh: I see your point of view...in fact that was exactly how I felt. I had come across beauty in sadness many times over in poems/books/movies...and like you I never did get it as to how something sad could be more beautiful. And what I described is how I did end up getting that point. Like so many things in life...this one too will follow the 'seeing is believing' principle...so when you finally see something in this context I think youll empathize with me!

And of course I know abt comment-spammers......I was just wondering abt such a short anon comment being frm a spam source!

Bastard...ull never get tired of making fun of the FFF thing kya? :D
And yeah...that was true senti :)

Golu: Thanx for maroing senti with me and being poetic ;)

Viral: The guy in the projector light finished his presentation and then after 3 others I got into the projector light and after I finished we all went home!

Karthik said...

I never thought the day would come when Golu sounded like TLAVS :)

"Sometimes the sadness can really make someone beautiful."

About the anon one, while it is possible that some1 found your blog while doing a random walk about the net, these sploggers tend to intersperse their ads with some normal comments to make it look normal. They also sometimes make deliberate spelling mistakes.

K

Golu said...

duhhhhhhhh fuck off i dont speak like tlavs

Anonymous said...

"Speaking like Tlavs"...another gaawd insult! :)

Karthik said...

Thanks Ro.

No one noticed my

"Cos she might be sad and hence she might drift into your league. :-/ "

I love this comment board :D

K

Anonymous said...

I did notice that...if u r hinting that that was a good insult...then No...its just a stupid joke! :P

Claytonian said...

don't ask her to read your blog. That's pathetic.

Golu said...

:))))))))) bow down before clayton

Anonymous said...

(puzzled)
Why?????

Anonymous said...

RO... u have reminded me to occupy strategic positions in class and look for depressed bimbos! :)

Anonymous said...

G...Jaake mugg le! :P

kray said...

:D y the fuck didn't i know earlier that this blog existed :P

Anonymous said...

Thanx kray :D