Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A quick jog down memory lane...and what do I find?

Last night I just couldn’t fall asleep. I was simply lying in bed with all kinds of thoughts in my head. And for some strange reason I started recalling things from my years gone by. Think about it and you’ll realize that everything we remember is in the form of a time window which is etched in our minds. We rarely remember entire events…just a few memorable moments. Moments making up some event that was in some way significant enough to alter our surroundings and our self. So much so, they’ve remained in our heads almost permanently. These memories, I feel come with the complete set. Sounds, colours, the people present and the environment...everything that you can associate with them.

And last night I had a stream of such memories continuously flowing through my head.

I remembered the time when I was an 8 year old in school and saw a girl being bitten by a dog. I can still recall the two deep teeth marks on her arm that were making her scream hysterically. A bunch of us had simply formed a semi-circle around her and were practically doing nothing but stare. I remember feeling nauseous thinking about it later and spitting out my éclairs that I was chewing on at that time.

I remembered the time of my first operation in my 4th standard to remove an infection from my leg. How the doctor managed to put me under anesthesia by asking me if I had ever blown balloons at a birthday party. My proud 'yes' was met with a smile and he promptly covered me with the anesthesia inducing mask and asked me to ‘blow a balloon’! The interesting thing is that this is the only thing that I can remember from my entire operation experience.

I remembered the time as a kid when I was coming back home from school in an auto and was riding in the front. I had fallen asleep only to fall off the moving auto, badly injuring myself in the process. I can still recall the vision of the moving road approaching me with alarming speed as I fell towards it and can distinctly remember the screeching sound of car wheels stopping behind me once I had completed my glorious fall. (Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night all sweaty and scared: P)

...and so on and so forth. You get the idea right?
So then I started wondering if I could figure out what was my oldest memory amongst all these. Which one of these was filled on the very first page?

And I think I have found an answer. I can be reasonably sure about this being my first memory because of the house that my family was living then. I have no other memory from that house and this was the house that I was brought into when I was born. I was a little startled to realize that my very first memory was that of the death of my paternal grandfather. I always had this array of thoughts in my head but never realized that this particular one was my first memory.
I was 2 years old and I can recall visions of my grandfather’s dead body lying in the living room and relatives pouring into our house to pay their last respects. He had died of a lung disease and his chest was swollen! I remember my grandmother crying on the bed and her sisters trying to console her. Again, I just can’t seem to recollect my parents being around!

The funny thing is that thinking about these memories consciously and writing about them seems to have scrambled everything up inside my head! They just dont seem all that coherent anymore!
Complex, the ways of human mind seem to be.
Unravel we must, this mystery.

I really don’t mean to freak anyone out.
I just felt like sharing.
Nothing deep.
Thats all!

12 comments:

Golu said...

ro man! wats up! why the long face ?

Anonymous said...

I just posted to correct the grammar on your page. So now its no longer "1 people share my dirty dirty thoughts".
I guess the long face is so that you can be hung like a horse in some respects at least? :D
But seriously whats up man?

Renta

kray said...

I was so on a totally different page at the start :|. Defly didn't expect to land up at that partcular end.

Wake up Ro! Smell the green grass and the sunshine :D

Roman said...

LOL renta...thanks man. U da best :D
And I did think of the horse joke...everybody loves hot-shots eh? :D

Nothing much guys (renta and golu) I really am feeling grrrr8...this post must reek of sadness...that isnt what its supposed to anyway. But like I said...all good in the hood :D

Howz CA?

Temps in Baltimore < Temps in Mississippi < Temps in CA!

Roman said...

Kray...:D
I am awake :P

Golu said...

my balls are freezing here...plus advisor has begun to screw me...guess we all reach that pt..sometime or the other

Anonymous said...

< temp in Fl.

Went to Fl for the weekend.

Just back.

K

Hitchcock said...

how come u dint talk abt that song that seemed to keep playing in ur head..and that made u go to a shrink..
and how bout how u woke up every day for 3 months to malinis name?? :)

Roman said...

Duh...Florida sounds nice. But Im worried its too hot for my own taste!

Anurag...Yes...I had forgotten about that. That was some screwed up time for me man! That song and stuff! :D
And rei..............let go of Malini story already! :D

Ren said...

Well, memories are nothing more than a collection of electrical impulses and chemical complexes stored in places on our neurons just in case... In case of what? I don't know... Just in case.

Dirty Bunny said...

Time is an illusion. Everything is happening all at once. Hard concept to grasp, which is why we made up time.

Roman said...

Labbie...yes but from what I know no one still understand exactly how memory...for that matter even the brain works right?

DB...WELCOME! :D
I heard something like this somewhere..."Time is Gods way of keeping all things happening at once".
BTW...were you serious when u wrote that? Cuz I dont really buy the theory that everything is happening at once...yes...hard to grasp...but i guess a little too hard!