Thursday, October 13, 2005

Random Thoughts: Part Deux

One morning this guy got up with a fantastic idea for a brilliant story. However he was too lazy to put in the effort to make it a wholesome one. So he just left it hanging in his head. The second morning he woke up once again with another idea...which he again tucked away into a corner of his mind. This happened a few times. Until he realized he could compile all of these brilliant ideas into a collection of short stories, get them published and make it big. And that’s exactly what he did. We all know him now as Roald Dahl. He has been an inspiration to me ever since. He has taught me that there is a beauty in the works produced by lethargy. He has shown me the door…the door to blog about random unrelated events and trick others into reading something that neither enriches nor entertains. He is the One and I am his follower.

Ok..all that about Roald Dahl was obviously a bunch of BS but you get the idea...so here goes:

Okati) I went for an American football game last saturday…my first. It was reasonably entertaining but I have a few cribs.
Firstly, why in bluddy hell is it called ‘foot’ball. For most of the game the players run around with the ball in their hand..so call it handball goddamitt. Not football. Football was taken a long time ago and is a much more entertaining, not to mention simpler game. If the Americans wanted to be different (like always) they could have at least called it American rugby. Or, as suggested in a 'Friends' episode it could be called ‘sissy rugby’. All I am saying is that this game should not and does not deserve to be called football.
Second, according to the rules of the game there is the quarterback who throws the ball around and there are the guys who try to catch it and run. These guys are pretty much the only ones who get to touch the ball. And what do the others do? Push each other around! Quite silly if you ask me. And this is only the offensive side. I learnt that a whole different team comes on for the defense and then all they do is push each other. Yeah sure it takes strength but I wonder after how long does a linebacker(I think) begin to get bored and wants to do something other than just fight with the opposite team like overgrown kids.
Third...is a crib concerning only Olemiss. Apparently over the last few years the football games here have transmogrified into a dating scene. What would you wear to a game? Comfortable shorts/pants, tees shoes...anything but what you would see here. All the girls go extremely heavy on the make-up, wear elegant formal gowns, put on dazzling jewellery and high heels. All the guys are just as formal. And the best part is that everyone adds the final masterpiece to their attire for the complete Olemiss football fan look...a large beer cup in one hand !!!! Silly to the point of being absurd. Id like to imagine what Eden gardens would look like, filled to the brim with men in suits and women in sarees/salwars watching India Vs Pakistan and cheering wildly! Quite an image eh? :D

So much for my cribs, Im surely going to another game in one of the coming weekends!

Rendu) I was stereotyped last week!
Not once...but twice!
Over my choice of beverages!
I would be outraged...but Im not senti like that! :P
(And its quite funny as you shall see)

Offlate I have been addicted to coffee...for no particular reason I feel an urge to go to the on-campus coffee/bookstore and spend $1.61 over a cup of coffee while relaxing and reading about why Jen and Pitt spilt, how Angelina Jolie is having some trouble regarding Zahara’s adoption and crappy stuff like that…which is the best thing about goofing off. But,like people say,I digress. So neway the other day I went to order my coffee and the girl at the counter takes one look at me and says “Tazo Hot Tea...red dragon (or something)”. I was confused and must have done a splendid job of showing it on my face. Looking at my puzzled expression she goes “You don’t want tea?”
WTF? Just because most of the brown people order tea (as she told me later) she assumed that I would order tea and on top of that was surprised that I was not going to. For the record I have never had tea there until now, although I plan to try it sometime only but when this particular stereotypist isn’t working! :P

A few days passed, during which all I did order was only coffee without any incident. Then I turned up one hot afternoon to drink some ice-cold frappe! As luck would have it she decided to play her guessing game that day and this time she DID NOT EVEN ask me what I wanted. She took out a coffee cup and filled it with coffee and placed it in front of me and said $1.61. WTdoubleF? I thought she was filling it up for someone else. I mentioned the insignificant fact that I did not want coffee that day and that’s the reason I had not ordered it. To which she says, “But you always have tall coffee”. (Note the way she even mentioned ‘tall’, not ‘venti’, not ‘grande’...’tall’.) Thanks moron but sometimes I like to try other things. Yet I didn’t want to create a scene and quite frankly (like I mentioned before) I am addicted now. So I took my ‘tall coffee’ and left feeling rather weird.

I still go there almost every day and I still order ‘tall coffee’. But whenever I go I stare at her in a very strange way which says “If you try to guess my order once more before I make it...Im going to take your suggestion and order it, not to drink it but only to empty it on ur head...Biyatch”. Seems to be working, she has not played her guessing game ever since. B-)


Moodu) This is my mandatory music/movie blah-blah-blah that I have to put in!
First, the movies...Ive been going to these free international movie screenings. Movies from China, Russia, Spain etc. Too many thoughts about too many movies, so Im going to avoid putting them down. All I wish to say is that a lot of these movies have been very good ('House of Fools')...but at the same time a few have been very very disturbing ('Bad Education')! Overall a good experience.
Coming to music...I had mentioned Smashing Pumpkins before here. After that I went on to purchase ‘Rotten Apples’, their greatest hits compilation. I discovered the Pumpkins to be hardcore rockers (they aren’t around anymore). They even had two hot chics for a bassist (D’Arcy, followed by Auf De Maur (Hole)). Their drummer, Jimmy Chamberlin is another drumming gawd. Their lead guitarist, James Iha inspite of having very different sound/style of playing the guitar as compared to Billy Corgan’s manages to blend into the songs very nicely. Billy Corgan, the frontman absolutely rocks and one of my fav things abt SP is Billy’s use of two types of vocals. All in all an awesome band! Worth every single second/paisa spent on them. Rotten Apples is the best thing to pick up if u haven’t heard the Pumpkins yet.

Thus ends a long useless post!
The Concluding act of an entire day wasted away goofing!
Bringing with it a feeling of guilt too overwhelming for words!
Only escape being the act of going home and sleeping it over!
I shall do that now!
Adios!

BTW, Roald Dahl is an awesome author...the only book of his I’ve read is his collection of short stories and it kicks come serious chilling ass!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

cheap sro.. I also used to share the same doubt...but I think it was one of KN/Tambay who pointed out that it is called football because the ball they play with has a major axis of length 1 foot :DDDD

BTW have u heard 'The Killers'. They are supposed to be quite good as a friend of mine says and I have seen them being quoted quite a lot on blogs these days. I heard one of their songs and they were okish!

Roman said...

Hmm...didnt know abt the 1foot funda. Interesting it is!

Killers eh? will keep an ear open for them!

kate said...

I lurrrve Roald Dahl too! What's you're favourite short story?
I like the one where his uncle spends a night at a rich sheikh's home in the desert...*wicked grin*

Roman said...

Hey Pavithra..
Yeah I remember that story..:)...cant remember any other actually, except for the one where this guy goes arnd making bets and says he is ready to cut his pinky off if he loses! I remember this cuz it was adapted in this Taratino movie called "Four Rooms".
I actually remember reading another Roald Dahl story called "The Hitchhiker" (about a fingersmith) in my 6th or 7th...this is my most fav. short story...it had a very big impact on my young impressionable mind :D

Anonymous said...

hehe, I remember the hitchhiker too...loved that story during the HPS days! Didn't remember that it was by Dahl; hmm, something to add to my to-read lists:)

btw, I'm guessing that girl at the coffee shop wasn't pretty/cute? Coz there were some great pick-up opps. handed to you on a platter, which you prolly would've used if u liked her even a bit! ;)

Roman said...

Vivek...whats up man?
Did u write me a scrap on orkut and then delete it? No big deal...just wondering! :)
And yeah...the thought did occur to me...but coffee is more important to me now...
..my precious

Golu said...

vivek trust me if the girl was anywhere close to cute...ro wud have more than jumped on that opportunity. Actually its quite possible that ro tried to change his choice so that he cud talk to her but ended up failing miserably

Roman said...

:D
Bloody golu! Its understandable...ur heartache is making u say these things ;)

Golu said...

bastard :D

Anonymous said...

bashtorad glu it was me who told who the futball funda and I was abt to type it now when I saw your comment..bloody golu

Anonymous said...

tu kitna lukkha hai be..:)..ektoh masti maarta hai fir full detail main 10 page likhta hai..i'm apping under your prof after masters

-zubin

Anonymous said...

TAV...welcome! :)
And haaan...FOC-ing was so much fun...arey seriously yaar...I miss Priya Lunch Home so much...u cant even BEGIN to compare the fish there and the pizza here!

And saaale...Im lukkha cuz I work hard all day and relax for a few hrs at night by bloggin :P

Golu said...

waise zubin do u want to app for lukkhaing or for working bhosadike :D

Roman said...

I swear man...:D
'the circle of lukkhaing friends' in college almost ended up destroying our academic lives...and here once again zubin wants to lukkha!
Waise Zubin and I decided that except for the both of us everyone else's fundaes of life are horribly wrong! We are way ahead of our time and will be appreciated only decades later from now!