Friday, May 13, 2005

Exams...

...are done. Although I still have a couple of projects to finish and research to keep doing it still fills me with a sense of accomplishment (until the grades come out :P). More importantly it gives me time to catch up on loads of things that I've not been keeping up with...sleeping and blogging being the ones I've yearned the most to get back to. I've taken good care of the former and am working on the latter presently.
Something occured to me as I was mindlessly going through some of my previous posts. I always write about music/movies/some crap like that. Never anything profound...yeah I have one or two vague posts in reference to events in my life but thats about it. Never anything about things like Communism, The Human Genome Project, Racism (no wait...I already covered that :) Corruption....well you get the idea. For a while I never really had an opinion about these things as I was too busy and happy-go-lucky in my own world. When I did try to form an opinion the biggest obstacle I faced was to find a good and an objective source of information. For now I still am opinionless but I have promised myself Ill do the necessary reading up pretty soon. So that brings me back to what I have to say for now and u guessed it right...its still about music and movies! :D

I happened to watch a couple of movies consequetively yesterday. The first one was "After the sunset"...had Salma Hayek (who is quite sad when it comes to acting and quite frankly is also overrated when it comes to 'hotness') and Brosnan. Nothing great about so nothing to say about it. Actually...dont watch it!
Then I happened to see this movie called "Before Sunset" (nice coincidence eh? ;)
It is an absolute masterpiece. Its supposed to be a sequel to another movie called "Before Sunrise" (havent seen that) but one could just watch this and appreciate it by itself. This 80min movie shows one day in the lives of an American author (Ethan Hawke) and a French girl (some really pretty girl who looks like Lisa Kudrow) who meet after hooking up 10 years ago. They spend the entire day walking on the streets of Paris just talking. All they do is talk but their conversation is very natural and beautifully convincing. The emotions shown by each of them are very subtle and the movie's ending is very interesting. Watch it! Ethan Hawke is a gawd actor and he reminded me about how amazingly inspired I was after I had seen 'Gattaca'!

Ok...now that we took care of the movies lets talk about music.
I happened to discover 2 bands in these past weeks. One is "Velvet Revolver"... this is a new band with really good rock music. Its made up of the debris from the wrecks of previous good bands. The line up looks like this...VR is made of GnR minus Axl Rose and their vocalist is Scott Weiler from STP. Scott is probably the only vocalist I know who can sing in 10 different ways without you realizing that its the same guy....I would say he is the most underrated vocalist out there. Their songs are essentially hard core rock and they sound good. Also I happened to notice that the drummer has improved a lot compared to his GnR days!
Band number 2 is "Hole". This is not a new band...in fact it doesnt exist anymore. It was an almost all-girl band with only their lead guitarist being a guy. It was headed by Kurt Cobain's ex-wife Courtney Love. I had heard about Hole before but had dismissed them without trying them out as I didnt expect music of my taste from a girl dominated band. I found out I couldnt be more wrong. Hole's music has a very appealing rock sound to it with quite good drumming. And btw...their bassist is such a hottie! :D

Alright...thats it for now...I have to get back to my reading about Communism in East Asia :)

1 comment:

Karthik said...

Salma hayek is medium hot. Her accent is blech tho

Now i have been polite and commented on ur blog please to be going to duhlord.blogspot.com :)