Friday, December 23, 2005

What would Forrest Gump do?

At the end of it...

  • Your legs are too weak to even make their way into the warmth indoors
  • Your fingers hurt so bad that you worry they might fall off because of frostbite
  • Your shirt is soaked in sweat that has forced its way out of you despite the 5 degree Celsius temperature outside.
  • Your whole body trembles due to the exertion.
  • People never get tired of ridiculing you.

Yet...at the end of it, the “runners ecstasy” that comes with completely a 4km run non-stop makes everything worth it!!

I have lost count of the number of people who have asked me the question, “What’s the big deal about long distance running?”
I always reply saying that it is something that has to be experienced and once u get a whiff of it you are never going to ask yourself that question.
But occasionally I act snooty and say stuff like Runners, we are different. :)
On a different level, I think it has got to with the sole fact that unlike other sports there is nothing to distract you in long distance running (never mind the walkmans!). It is just a test of pure will power. And that’s what makes ‘everything else just a sport’!

And just cuz I’m feeling all good-old-times-where-are-they types, this is big hey to Subbu, Rabbi, Vidya and Paki. These were the guys with whom I trained for and ran the Mumbai half-marathon in Feb’04. (Actually there was one more guy who had flown in from B’lore the day before just to run. Talk abt enthusiasm . I don’t remember his name though!) And we kept ourselves inspired with a really cool paragraph that one of us found somewhere,

Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death.

It does not matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up you would better be running!


Some adrenalin rush it was!
Who is up for some more? :)

BTW...Happy New Year!

19 comments:

Golu said...

:) nice one ro...

as i said u r a big inspiration for me 'training for a marathon'...have gone only 3-4 times so far...but hope to be more regular after getting back from india

ps: u better run indoors in the winters :P

Roman said...

as i said u r a big inspiration for me 'training for a marathon'...

:D
Thanks a bunch :)

Good luck for the marathon...heres a helpful tip: Tape ur nipples :D
Yeah...u read that right...tape ur nipples, else they get chaffed!
I did it! If u dont believe me ask Subbu :)

Are u dying laughing already? :P

kate said...

Golu's in India?

Roman said...

Ya he is kate...he is in India but he didnt want anyone to know!
I said to him, "Golu...I think its selfish that u are in India but u dont want to meet anyone or want anyone to know. why golu...why would you want to do this? There are people out there who would love to meet and spend time with the bubly, cute and fun personality that is you"
To which he said, "Fuck you Ro...I dont care...Im going to be training for my marathon and I dont really care."
So I just sent him a shocked face smiley and logged off!

kate said...

hahaha. we'll all leave the poor boy to himself then.
:P
pmnmqmhe is my verification word. guh!

Golu said...

lol no im not in india :d I am still in amruland...leaving on thursday...

FACCK I think im going to cry :(...i want to go home....shit cant wait man.... i am going to be one of those characters they show in movies who jumps out of the flight rejoicing and gets shot down because ppl thought he was a terrorist :D

Roman said...

Dheeraj...I dont recall anyone jumping out of a plane to go home and getting shot in a movie. If u do such a thing I think ull be the first such character...then people later will refer to this as "pulling a golu" :P

Hitchcock said...

hey ro...i understand the half marathon.. but u ran 4km and wrote all this gibberish???????????
waiting when u run another hal-marathon. ull eat up how many pages ra?? :)
and the nipples part is so true man.. freaking freaky things...why does man have nipples??? u just saved my jobless night..will be at it tonight :P
let me introduce myself..anurag... ro is my biggest dost..:)..my guru..my inspiration. :)

Hitchcock said...

i meant..why do men have nipples..not mankind as a whole "sheepish"

tav said...

yeah I remember your marathon, in fact the 'humidity-absorbant' from the victory water-bottle that you guys got for running like crazy lies in my elec guitar case protecting more important things..:)..I also remember pseud-Subbu thought those things were water-purifiers, or was it you and insisted on drinking water with those things inside..:).I saved somebody's life!

Ren said...

Running... hehehe... I know all about that.

kate said...

oye! where have you disappeared? long time no post...

Anonymous said...

hey ro,

yeah i miss those good old marathon days too...cudnt run this time coz of post jaundice low stamina status:( do marathons in the states have half-marathon categories?

--priyanka

kray said...

hey! where've u disappeared?!!

Roman said...

Ok...mesa is back and mesa is going to pick up where mesa left off...

Anurag...As ur guru and inspiration I can assure you that the next time I run a half-marathon Ill explain in painful detail every single second of it! Including the taping of the vestigial organs! SO BE PREPARED!

Zubin...fack! I completely forgot abt that...yeah I remember u saving our lives by taking the humidity absorbant away and keeping it safely in ur guitar :P

Labbie...Yeah...Im sure u do! :)

Kate...I know...long time no post! I was busy checking things out on the other side of the earth. Im back to where I was now! So will be back soon!

Lenny...FUCK OFF! :P

Paki...glad u stopped by...the bait worked :P
Too bad about the jaundice...and yes marathons here do have a half marathon category...in fact they even have a 10k (10 km) division that is quite popular. Unfortunately for me...the small town of Oxford hasnt hosted any marathons while I've been here!

Kray...Went home man...Im back now!Where are u btw?

kray said...

home right now. off to the ship in 3 days.. myanmar :P

btw, i had absolutely no clue u were coming back!!!

Ren said...

Did you ever listen to my posts from my cellphone while running the Baltimore Marathon?

Roman said...

Labbie...I wanted to but it slipped out of my mind...and now Ive spent about 15 mins rummaging your archives in vain!
Gimme a link to it and master yoda will be pleased :P

Golu said...

well actually i did listen to some of labbie's audio posts. In fact I think he got a best audio blog award for the same. I think the last audio where Labbie got to the finish line and talks abt seeing Camden yards...really really inspires :)